You want to know how much this is going to cost you. So do we.
Unfortunately, its impossible to know the exact cost of your legal services when there are numerous factors that play a role- many of which are 100% out of our control (think: unwilling-to-negotiate opposing counsels, pro se individuals, court delays, mandatory mediation requirements, changing facts and circumstances, beyond normal discovery requests, etc). However, unlike some of our big time competitors, we are small enough to be flexible and will do everything in our power and resources to make the cost of our services affordable to you. Why? Because we like you, of course.
Here are some examples of the fee arrangements we propose to clients:
- Flat Fee: For example, many of our Startup Solutions Packages are flat fee services. Although not everything can be a flat fee service, some things can, particularly services that are discreet in nature so that we can accurately predict the amount of time it will take to complete the task.
- Hourly Fee: The majority of our services are billed on an hourly basis but don't be fooled, we bill for the time actually spent and not increments of time like some of our competitors. We also reserve the right to give discounts to people who are dealing with an economic hardship and loyalty discounts to long-term clients who keep coming back for more.
- Retainer Fee: We often ask for a retainer to cover initial filing fees and court costs associated with various matters. We may also ask for a retainer fee equal to an hour or more of our work to help off-set your final bill. Retainers are always held in trust until it is earned and will always be applied to your invoices until the balance equals zero. If we close your matter with money to spare, we will return any remaining balance in your retainer account or apply it to another matter- your choice.
- Contingency Fee: On certain occasions, such as personal injury matters, we offer this option to plaintiffs to help offset some of the initial costs of litigation by only taking a fee (or portion of a fee) when and if we achieve a positive result. Usually the contingency arrangement is 33.33% of the final judgment or settlement but we will adjust this percentage accordingly to make sense based on the claim.
- Hybrid Fee: Not every case fits well within any of the above arrangements and we understand that. For many clients, we propose a hybrid of two or more of the above to make our services more affordable to the client.
How to Reduce your Fees:
- Do your homework. Often times we assign clients some homework in which we ask the client to do some of the "grunt-work" like filling out questionnaires so we get all the information we need at one time (and in one place).
- Be prompt. We get that you are busy but if we email you a draft of a document, try to return any revisions within 3 business days. Hunting you down takes time and therefore costs you money.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. We aren't going to bill you for crazy things like answering simple questions about the status of your case. In fact, asking all your questions will probably save us some time and therefore you some money, particularly when you can ask these questions up front.
- Be prepared for your consultation. We continue to offer competitively priced consultations, and if you come to your consultation armed with the documents applicable to your case, it will save us the time of hunting them down or making requests. You are free to bring anything and everything to your consultation that you think may have some impact on our evaluation of the case.
- If you have a budget, let us know. Especially for small businesses, we understand that you may have a budget in mind for certain services. All you have to do is let us know and we will do everything in our power to make it work. This may require a little more from you and a little less from us but we promise to try and make it make sense for both of us.
Remember, we are only as flexible as you allow us to be so be open and honest about your fee expectations and we will be sincere in our efforts to make it work.
Types of Payment Accepted:
Check (personal or cashier's)
Cash (with advanced notice)
*Startup Solutions consultations are free!